EATing for Your Eyes – Citrus & Berries
Both of these fruit types are packed with vitamin C, which help to reduce the risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration.
This refreshing recipe is perfect for summertime.
There are two parts to the preparation of this dish.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 170g – 225g salad mix or your favourite greens
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced or quartered
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tangerine, peeled and separated (or orange, peeled and segmented)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves (or sundried tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic maple syrup, and salt and pepper in a mason jar (or any screw-top jar)
- Shake vigorously to combine and emulsify
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary
- Add greens, berries, tangerine and tomatoes and mix
- Just before serving, toss to coat with dressing and top with pecans
Citrus and berries – 5 Foods for Healthy Eyes – Health.com.2015. Citrus and berries – 5 Foods for Healthy Eyes – Health.com. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20680738_4,00.html. [Accessed 07 August 2015].